CNC Plasma Cutter

Hah! David #2, I’m in good company :slight_smile:
Did those 1/4" NPT screw into this?
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 1.41.50 PM

You unscrew that barb fitting and that 1/4" NPT will screw into that hole.

Edit: This replacement allow you to use the quick connects that are common with air compressors (something like this)

1 Like

Hi David,

You mentioned that you were switching over to Linux for your plasma cnc. I am currently in the process of building one and I am a bit confused on how to setup all the files for it through LinuxCNC. I am using a Mesa 7i76e board and Nema 23 stepper motors. Could you help guide me in setup?

Also, I am using the cut50L you mentioned. Which pin locations should the torch trigger connection be?

Any advice is much appreciated.

-Cody

Hey Cody!

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I am not going to make this switch for a little while, so I have not created wiring diagrams yet.

Have you read through my CNC mill project page? Setting up a plasma table is very similar to a mill when it comes to LinuxCNC, but you should use PlasmaC, a configuration for plasma cutting.

I can answer targeted questions. I am juggling a couple of projects on my end, so I don’t have too much free time at the moment.

Check out the configure part of Plasma C here.

You would connect the trigger circuit of the plasma torch to a relay and then the input of the relay to a digital out pin on the Mesa 7i76e. When the pin on the Mesa board goes high, the relay closes, and the torch is turned on.

See diagram below for digital out pins:

Hi there,
I recently bought openbuilds control package for a plasma table, built the table runs great but having troubles with the floating head and IHS it will probe down to the material and trigger the switch and trigger hard limit and shut off how do fix this floating issue it won’t go up to cut height I think I’m missing something in the code all the help will be greatly appreciated

Could you post some G-code of a simple cut that you are trying to make? Also what plasma cutter are you using?

David,

I’m getting very close to finishing up my project. I have my table built along with most of the electronics done!

One question I do have is what type of relay would you suggest for the plasma trigger?

Thanks again!

As im a student and can‘t afford any software or control terminals do you think it is possible to still build myself a running system? I‘m thinking about using some free laser cutter software will it be possible?

Hello. Do you know if the Cut60L machine will work like the Cut50L machine that you used? I was going to try to use it on a cnc table.

Can you provide a link for the Cut50L you are looking at?

This is the machine that I purchase. ( Cut60L). The description says Non HF and blowback start but looking at the torch shows to be a HF torch (no sping electrode). Here is the link of the machine that I purchased (Cut60L).

I apologize, but I have not used this cutter before. SUNGOLDPOWER’s cut50L, which I have used, was non-HF. So I would assume the CUT60 would be as well. It says in the description: “Non-HF Blowback Start,” so you may have to take it at face value.

Thanks. Have you ever tried using a cnc milling machine to act like a plasma table? I was thinking of attaching a long pole to the top of a CNC milling machine table and attach a plasma torch to the end of it and let the cnc X Y axis control the movement of the torch and use the Z axis to press a switch to turn on and off the torch mechanically. Just an idea.

I wouldn’t recommend it. The metallic dust from the plasma cutting process would be bad for your milling machine’s ways.

Also, most milling machines do not have much travel.

Thanks for the info on the mill idea. Do you happen to know what size fitting (diameter and thread pitch) the torch hose connector is that connects to the Cut50L machine? Was going to get a straight torch but I don’t know the connector size to connect the torch hose connector to the Cut50L fitting.

Standard M16 thread on the hose connection.

Did you connect inside the machine or is outside of it ok? Also does it make a difference which wire to which spot on the Blackbox relay? ( if it makes a difference) on the cut 50L

You are going to want to use an aviation connector and plug that into the trigger switch. It does not make a difference which wire to which spot on the relay of the BlackBox.

So straight from cut 50l aviation connector to blackbox relay right? Nothing in-between.

Thank you, your videos are awesome

Yes the plasma cutter is looking for continuity at its trigger.