CNC Milling Machine

Hey man,

Great build on the CNC. Been wanting to do a project like this and your detailed video gave me the motivation!

I’m wondering if you have a diagram for your mains power connections. Did you use 220 for the controls and components in the cabinet or 110? It looks like all your recommended hardware can run on either. Any benefits or drawbacks on using one or the other?

Hey,

I should put together a small diagram for connecting all the components to power…

In my garage I only have one 220V (@ 30A) connection, which I needed for the spindle. So I had to go with 110V. If I had spare 220V outlets then I would have used 220V because you can use smaller diameter wires at higher voltages and still deliver the same amount of power.

Edit: Added amperage of my single outlet

I too used 220 for my system but I used it for all systems. I have a 50 amp plug in my shop so I was able to use just one. My axis drives are 220 (not dc like many are) as well as the control power supply. I would recommend that if you go this route to pull a neutral wire along with the 220 so that you can run something off 110 if needed. I don’t have a drawing of my setup, but it is pretty simple. 220 enters the cabinet and goes through a magnetic disconnect. From there the power is split to separate fuses that are connected to each drive and power supply. There is a picture earlier in my posts of my control cabinet. This picture is before it was complete however. For instance, the fuses have not been installed.

1 Like

@TCandee Any luck with the power draw bar?

yes. it is fully functional. I thought I emailed you a video??? cant post anything except pictures on this forum unfortunately.

Thanks for the info guys!

I need to pull cable to get 220 to my garage for the motor. I’ll use 220 for everything I can.

What pulses-per-revolution did you choose for your drivers?

I’m planning on using my mill to make the small aluminum parts I need for building drones. Specifically the clamps used to attach carbon-fiber rods to the main body.

If you’ve never messed around with drones, I think it would be right up your alley for you and your channel. I use pixhawk hardware and ardupilot software. I only build fixed-wing mapping drones for agriculture but ardupilot can be used for rovers, submarines, and about anything else you can think of.

Would love to see some pics!

Has anyone seen a successful homemade automatic tool changer around the interwebs?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ALyBGZxGXdIifUQKUyOxI9tQ#Silverton

Try this link. Crappy video but it’s the best I could do while videoing with one hand.

Air operated 4x4x1 cylinder. Actuated with a 24vdc air solenoid. Could be operated through gcode if the right control setup is implemented.

I have seen ATC’s in action on similar machines. The controls and gcode requirements are beyond my current knowledge set. I actually have the ATC built for another machine but my lack of knowledge and limitations of my controls stopped the project. The control limitations have recently been upgraded by the manufacturer so I may revisit this project.

That’s great!!

Definitely on my list of most-wanted upgrades.

@TCandee Yah I havn’t seen it in action until now! That looks great!

@Cdavis You can actually purchase entire ATC carousels for TTS tooling on Aliexpress/Alibaba. I had a link to one that I was looking at, but its broken… I looked around for a couple of minutes and I couldn’t find it again. But I swear they are out there.

Here is some information on the LinuxCNC forum to setting up an ATC: https://forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configuration/31754-how-to-build-atc-carousel-in-linuxcnc

Tormach probably shut it down. They are pretty diligent about their patents and copyrights infringements. Thanks for the link but I am using Centroid Acorn controls.

The power drawbar is a fairly simple in theory. I bought plans from Hoss.com (or something like that) a long time ago and modified it for this mill. It is fairly expensive and requires a lathe for the “top hat” the attaches to the spindle. Drilling 6 blind holes in the top of the spindle is also required. As well as anew drawbar.

Air solenoid $85
Air cylinder $580 Fabco Air MP4X1/2X4X1FF-AS

Air cylinder is capable of 2800# force at 60PSI

I used 16 tormach Belleville washers in this format (())(())(())(()).

I used this same setup on a smaller mill with an air cylinder that had half the power an I used half of the Belleville washers. I seemed to always be right on the edge of having enough holding power for heavy milling so I doubled up on this one. The holding power is easily decreased on the washers and air cylinder by adjusting air pressure and backing off on the drawbar.

I’m not brave enough to commit to anything with “Linux” in the title :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought a MASSO controller. I’ll share my experience with it on here when it’s all up and running.

Do you remember what you used for pulse-per-revolution on the drivers?

1500??? I’ll fire it up later and check. The higher the number, the more micro stepping and lower holding torque. Also, depends on what steppers you have too. I haven’t even cut anything with mine yet. I committed to not milking
anything else until I have an enclosure. all parts are on order. Tired of the chips all over and getting tracked into the house as well.

Todd Candee

todd@thecandees.com

Oh, nice! Would really like to see your enclosure project.

I’m on a farm in Missouri and mine is currently in a 40x60 shop. I’m going to let the chips fly over the summer but it gets NASTY here in the winter. Think 33-degree mud soup. Shop doesn’t have HVAC so it’ll be migrating into my attached garage when things start getting messy. An enclosure would be the bees knees.

Thanks for the 1500 number. Now I have a place to start.

My apologies you did not say you use Mach3/4. I got confused from watching so many DYI videos on plasma CNC.

What operating system do you feel will work better for me between OpenBuilds motion control system or Linuxcnc since I have no IT experience with programing. No doubt both systems are great!!

Frank,

You can’t really compare these two programs. OpenBuilds CONTROL is really just a G-code sender with some bells and whistles. LinuxCNC is very different. You should read through the LinuxCNC website and wiki (https://linuxcnc.org/).

Have you ever operated a CNC machine before (3D Printer, CNC router, etc.)?

Hi David,

Thanks so much for sharing this project! I was trying to settle on a CNC mill project and was looking at the PM 833 or 940. You really helped me make up my mind. I have been a Linux geek since the dark ages, so I definitely admire your choice of software!

I just wanted to ask before I get started if there is anything significant you would do differently now that you have had had a couple months with it?

Best,

Sean

Sean,

So far there is nothing that I would have changed about the build. I have had some people be like, “Oooh you should have went with a double ball nut on the screw” or “you should have used epoxy for tramming the base.” But so far the mill has worked for what I have need it to (e.g. adaptor and mounting plates).

My one regret is the drewtronics probe. I don’t want to throw too much shade because the idea of a low cost probe is great. But this probe is just not reliable. Sometimes it triggers sometimes it doesn’t. I have pulled it apart a couple of times to see if the contacts are oxidizing, but nothing stands out. I am trying to find a new probe for <$1000 because the Probe basic GUI is awesome.

Edit: Best of luck on your conversion. Please share pictures and updates!

Pulled the trigger on my mill last weekend. I intend on following your walkthrough and plans to the letter minus the tool setter and probe. Might need some help along the way!

1 Like